Many people suffer from fear of going to the dentist. Whether you dislike the general experience or are worried about needing a more serious treatment, it can bring about a number of feelings among patients. While dentists have worked tirelessly to try and make patients feel comfortable, sometimes a patient needs a little extra help. For those patients visiting the Winnipeg dental clinic, there is step dentistry.
Sleep dentistry covers multiple relaxation and sedation methods that are designed to help a patient relax or fall asleep during treatment. There is Nitrous Oxide, also known as laughing gas, which does not put a patient to sleep but does make them feel very much at ease. Then there is intravenous sedation and dental anesthesia, which allow the patient to gently fall asleep or relax for the duration of the procedure.
These techniques are highly desired by people with a high fear of visiting the dentist, have had traumatic dental experiences in the past, do not receive numbing medication well, or have a very active gag reflex.
Some may find sleep dentistry as being unnecessary, but there are a number of benefits that can help the dentist do an effective job. Sleep dentistry offers:
- The ability for the patient to fully relax
- Comfort for the patient
- Ability to move the jaw with ease, which can be very difficult in nervous patients
- The gag reflex is put at ease and less likely to react
- No memory of the procedure or treatment, diminishing ill feelings towards visiting the dentist
- Saves time for nervous patients who may make treatment more difficult for dentists to perform
Are you anxious about your next dental treatment and believe sleep dentistry may be right for you? Consider contacting your Winnipeg dentist about possibly using a relaxation method during your next treatment.